Monday, April 16, 2012

India, the start

On the flight into Delhi, I sat next to an Indian man who wanted to talk the whole time. It was a bit hard with his accent, but I managed and he talked my ear off about human duty to the world as the most intelligent species and also about love and tradition. He seemed to think a woman's place is in the home and it felt odd to meet someone who had a view about women in general and didn't see each person as capable (and deserving even) of making their own choices about the path of their lives, I knew that people had this view, but as he was asking me questions and not understanding how "free thinking" I seemed, it struck me as more unacceptable to pin a person into a role than I have ever felt before.
Once I arrived, I withdrew my rupees and got a taxi. I was told it was a certified taxi service, but ended up getting in a van with a driver that didn't know much English. Probably not a great idea in retrospect, but he seemed nice I guess, so I said ok. He ended up being super super nice, got lost a bit, but it gave me time to adjust to how impoverished the streets seemed. He ended up asking lots of people where my hotel was, got one guy into the car to help, but later kicked the guy out because I think the guy was trying to get my driver it just drop me off somewhere... The driver pulled over and yelled at him and kicked him out, and as we drove away, he called him a "cheater man". Haha :) I was thankful and happy to have ended up with a nice man who persevered and found my hotel and was kind. I think I would have had a hard time finding the hotel as well.. The streets are super small and wind around and the sign was small.. He even got out to ask at the last and the guy pointed across the street.. "Haha!" We both laughed!  "We are here!"
Since then, the hotel has been good, has wi fi, a nice bed, and a tour guide here keeps calling me hott, which is funny.. He tells me he wantsto take me to his home near the Himalayas, and I can stay at an Ashram and do yoga for a month and I will love it he says.. And I can meet his mother! Haha!
I appreciated the sentiment, but now to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment